Dr. Gwénael Ferron
Advanced laparoscopy, exenteration surgery and pelvic reconstruction, gynaecological oncological surgery, retroperitoneal sarcoma.
Dr. Gwénael Ferron is a gynaecological surgeon expert in laparoscopic surgery. Since the year 2000, he has worked in the Institut Universitaire du Cancer de Toulouse (IUCT oncopole). He directs the Programme for Peritoneal Carcinomatosis, The Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Unit and is an international expert on rescue surgery (pelvic exenteration and reconstruction).
- Thesis of Medicine – March 2000 – Université de Montpellier – Nîmes. «Vaginal reconstruction after a pelvic effort with muscle-cutaneous ruptures of Great Right and Internal Law». Thesis director: Pr Philippe ROUANET.
- D.E.S Obstetrics Gynecology – “Inter-region Sud Est”. France May 2000
- D.E.S.C Cancerology. October 2001
- Master 2 BTI Surgical Science. Université Paris Sud XI. 2009-2010. Topic: Intraoperative curieterapia with permanent implants of inactive iodine 125 grains in the retroperitoneal and pelvic area. Experimental study on the sheep model. Head of Oncology M2R: Marc Pocard (París XI). Host Laboratory: LERISM (O Caselles) Study and research laboratory in medical and spatial images, Toulouse. Collaboration: ENVT Ecole nationale vétérinaire de Toulouse (Departamento de Rumiantes)
- Level 1 Animal Experimentation (Veterinary School of Maison Alfort). Member of the Ethics Committee for Animal Experimentation (Institut Claudius Regaud)
- University Thesis. Université Paul Sabatier Toulouse (June 2015). Topic: Standardization of intraperitoneal chemo hyperthermia techniques by pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling (PK / PD). Host team: EA 4553 (Individualization of ovarian cancer treatments – Pr E. Chatelut Pr JP Delord). Thesis director: Pr Bettina COUDERC. Co-thesis director: Pr Jean Pierre DELORD. President of the jury: Pr Etienne CHATELUT. Enabling to lead HDR research (06/28/2017)
- CNU 47-2 (April 2018): favorable opinion without reservations for a position of university professor.
- DU (University Diploma) of medical pedagogy and bases of communication. Université de Montpellier 2013-14. Educational project: Creation of a Web-TV for the teaching of oncological surgery.
- External hospitals of Rennes from 1991 to 1994
- Contest interned in June 1994: General Surgery
- Internal Surgery- Specialty Surgery. Hôpitaux de Montpellier – Nîmes. November 1994 – May 2000
- Auxiliary Specialist – Department of Cancer Surgery – CLCC Claudius Regaud Toulouse (Pr. CABARROT / Dr. MARTEL). From May 2000 to April 2002.
- Head of Clinic – Assistant (Teaching Module 10: Cancerology) – Department of Cancer Surgery – CLCC Claudius Regaud Toulouse (Pr QUERLEU) May of 2002 to April of 2004.
- Toulouse School of Medicine (Universidad Paul Sabatier)
- Medical specialist Centers for the battle against cancer. Since May 2004
- Member of the EA 3035 research team: Pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of cancer treatments – Pr Bugat Pr Chatelut. 2009-2011,
- Member of the research team EA 4553: Individualization of Treatments for ovarian cancer – Pr E. Chatelut Pr JP. Delord 2011-2017,
- Member of the research team INSERM CRCT19 (Oncogenesis of Sarcomas – Pr Chibon) Since 2018
- Medical coordinator of the organs committee “onco-gynecology” Institut Claudius Regaud et Institut Universitaire du Cancer 2011-2015
- Medical Coordinator Expert Center for Rare Diseases of the Peritoneum Institut Claudius Regaud and Institut Universitaire du Cancer (réseau RENAPE)
- Animator of the onco-gynecology group of the ONCOMIP network.
- Head of the TMRO Expert Center “Rare tumors of the ovary”
- Head of the RENAPE Center “Rede of rare diseases of the peritoneum”
- Elected member of the office of the Institutional Medical Commission (CME) Institut Claudius Regaud and Institut Universitaire du Cancer (réseau RENAPE) 2011-2015
- Member of the Groupe Sarcome Français (GSF-GETO)
- Member of the Sociedad Francesa de Cirugía Oncológica (SFCO) and of the ESSO (European Society of Surgical Oncology)
- Member of the Board of Directors and the Board of Directors of SFCO
- General Secretary of the Sociedad Francesa de Cirugía Oncológica – SFCO (2010-2016)
- Vice President of SFCO (2016 -)
- Co-organization of the congress of SFCO Nancy (2012), Lyon (2013), Nantes (2014), Bordeaux (2015), Marseille (2016), LaBaule (2018)
- Member of the Sociedad Francesa de Oncología Ginecología
- Co-organization of the annual conference SFOG Toulouse 2014
- Organization of days of surgical techniques (basic and advanced course) 2014
- Member of the Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO)
- Chairman Session Basic principles of reconstruction after radical pelvic surgery (ESGO 2017 Vienna)
- Member of the International Society of Surgical Anatomy (ISSA). Since 2015
- Member of the Consejo Científico de GINECO (Grupo de Investigadores Nacionales para el Estudio del Cáncer de Ovario).
- Head of the “Surgery” group.
- Principal Investigator France for the test
- FORM (A randomized trial comparing radical hysterectomy and pelvic lymph node dissection alone vs. hysterectomy and pelvic lymph node dissection in patients with early cancer of low-risk cervical practices)
- CHIVA (phase II randomized double-blind trial evaluating Vargatef® (Nintedanib) in concurrence with first-line chemotherapy with interval surgery in patients with ovarian, tracheal or peritoneal cancer (CHIVA – CHIrurgie VArgatef)
- Member of the “Saint Paul de Vence Ovaire” reference group
- Member of the “Ovaire INCA 2017” reference group
- Member of the Gynecological Cancer Academy (ESGO European Society of Gynecologic Oncology, ENGOT European Network of Gynecologic Oncology Trials) (2015-16)
- Secretary of the UNICANCER group-Centre de Lutte Contre le Cancer (2008 – 2015)
- Organization of the annual meeting of the group of surgeons of CLCC (2009 – 2014)
- Organization of the CCG session at the congress of the Asociación Francesa de Cirugía (2009-2016)
- Active member of the INCA networks stabilized for the treatment of rare diseases:
- NetSarc (sarcoma)
- Mucous melanoma
- Malignant neoplasms of the ovary (TMRO) (Head of the Center of Experts)
- Cancer and pregnancy
- RENAPE (Rare Peritoneal Diseases) (Head of the Expert Center)
- Expert in INCA for the evaluation of national and regional PMRC PMREs (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Member of the PHRC Evaluation Commission (2018 -)
- Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for Peritoneal Carcinomatosis in the Elderly: A Case-Controlled, Multicenter Study.
Alyami M, Lundberg P, Kepenekian V, Goéré D, Bereder JM, Msika S, Lorimier G, Quenet F, Ferron G, Thibaudeau E, Abboud K, Lo Dico R, Delroeux D, Brigand C, Arvieux C, Marchal F, Tuech JJ, Guilloit JM, Guyon F, Peyrat P, Pezet D, Ortega-Deballon P, Zinzindohoue F, de Chaisemartin C, Kianmanesh R, Glehen O, Passot G; BIG-RENAPE and RENAPE Working Groups. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016 Dec;23(Suppl 5):737-745. Epub 2016 Sep 6.
- Treatment of neovaginal prolapse: case report and systematic review of the literature. Neron M, Ferron G, Vieille P, Letouzey V, Fatton B, de Tayrac R.
Int Urogynecol J. 2017 Jan;28(1):41-47. doi: 10.1007/s00192-016-3009-5. Epub 2016 Apr 2. Review. PMID: 27038991.
- Correction: Preferential Allele Expression Analysis Identifies Shared Germline and Somatic Driver Genes in Advanced Ovarian Cancer. Halabi NM, Martinez A, Al-Farsi H, Mery E, Puydenus L, Pujol P, Khalak HG, McLurcan C, Ferron G, Querleu D, Al-Azwani I, Al-Dous E, Mohamoud YA, Malek JA, Rafii A. PLoS Genet. 2016 Feb 18;12(2):e1005892. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1005892. eCollection 2016 Feb.
- Are Early Relapses in Advanced-Stage Ovarian Cancer Doomed to a Poor Prognosis? Vidal F, Guerby P, Luyckx M, Haddad P, Stoeckle E, Morice P, Leblanc E, Lecuru F, Daraï E, Classe JM, Pomel C, Filleron T, Ferron G, Querleu D, Rafii A. PLoS One. 2016 Jan 28;11(1):e0147787. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0147787. eCollection 2016. PMID: 26820579
- Preferential Allele Expression Analysis Identifies Shared Germline and Somatic Driver Genes in Advanced Ovarian Cancer. Halabi NM, Martinez A, Al-Farsi H, Mery E, Puydenus L, Pujol P, Khalak HG, McLurcan C, Ferron G, Querleu D, Al-Azwani I, Al-Dous E, Mohamoud YA, Malek JA, Rafii A. PLoS Genet. 2016 Jan 6;12(1):e1005755. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1005755. eCollection 2016 Jan. Erratum in: PLoS Genet. 2016 Feb;12(2):e1005892.
- IFSI Sète: Anatomy, physiology (1996, 1997)
- IFSI Montpellier: Anatomy, physiology (1998, 1999)
- IFSI Marchand Toulouse: Senología (2000-2008)
- Multidisciplinary activity in oncology – ONCOMI Network. Principle of oncological surgery: 2004-2012.
Oncology and technical news in radiotherapy for manipulators. New surgery in oncology: 2006-2015.: 2006-2015.
- IDE session of the ESOC: An example of therapeutic innovation: HIPEC (date (11/8/2016)
- Cancer news conferences for paramedics.
- 2008: Cancer and femininity: pelvic reconstruction after pelvic exenteration
- 2007: Medical and psychosocial aspects of the treatment: cancer surgery
- 2005: Breast and thoracic reconstruction
- 2004: Minimally invasive surgery in breast cancer
Teaching SECOND and THIRD CYCLE
- Faculty of Toulouse Purpan (Université Paul Sabatier): General education about cancer (Module 10) and supervision of students (D3) for ED. 2001-2004
Faculty of Toulouse Purpan (Université Paul Sabatier): General education on cancer (Module 10).
- DES Medical Oncology: Principle of surgical management of soft tissue sarcomas. Toulouse – Nov 2008
- DESC Cancerology: Principle of ovarian cancer management. Principle of management of endometrial cancer. Toulouse – April 2008
- DESC Cancerology (Brest, April 2009): Principle of management of ovarian cancer. Place of intraperitoneal chemotherapy in ovarian cancers.
- DESC Cancerology (Nancy-Dec 2013): management of soft tissue sarcoma.
- Cancer DESC (Nancy-Dec 2013): ovarian cancer management
- Course DIUE Surgical practices in oncology: animation session of Nancy (December 2013), animation session of Lyon (January 2014), animation session of Genoa (June 2014), organizational session of Toulouse (February 2014).
Oncology DES Course (ASIO):
- Multidisciplinary medical care for ovarian cancer. Limoges, November 2014 DIU peritoneal carcinomatosis (2015): Role of surgery and HIPEC in the treatment of sarcomatous tumors and small round cells.
- IUE Gynecological and Breast Oncology (2017) – Nantes: The surgical technique of peritoneal carcinomatosis. Surgical technique of pelvic exenteration
- Organization and implementation of the Course of Oncological Surgery by videotransmission of surgical interventions to DCEM3 students since 2005 (6 monthly sessions of 3 and a half days)
- Attached to the Faculty of Medicine (Rangueil) (Paul Sabatier University) since 2004 (Pr Querleu, Pr Roche) – Professor of Cancer (Module 10): lectures, tutorials, ECN training, SIDES base enrichment.
Education for doctors, pharmacists, researchers:
- Advanced Abdominopelvic Surgery Monographic Course in Oncolytic Gynecology. Pelvic exenteration; Surgery of the upper abdomen. Spanish Society of Oncological Gynecology – Euroforum El Escorial. Madrid 2017
- Superior abdominal surgical procedures. San Sebastian 2017
- Medical Expert Training in laparoscopic surgery in gynecological oncology. 5 annual sessions since 2015 IUC-Toulouse (Course director)
- GET-UP Career (Training of experts in gynecology for future professionals) 2016-7 (Rome) minimally
- Invasive gynecology surgery course – Gynecological cancer and laparoscopic approach: State of the art (IRCAD Strasbourg) in video-transmission (2009-15)
- Master M2R “Oncology” (Pr Gilles Fabre). Cancer surgery (2004-2016)
- Master 2 Biology and cancer technology (Pr Bettina Couderc). Cancer surgery (2007-2016)
- Negative pressure therapy teaching organization – Ecole du Val de Grace Paris: VAC course and visceral surgery (2006-2010). Treatment of compartment syndrome. (2006-2010). VAC Courses and Cancerology (2008-10). VAC Courses – Pharmaceuticals (2010)
Thesis and work management:
- Therapeutic means and survival of uterine sarcomas. LETOURNEUR Benoit. Medicine thesis. University of Toulouse III – Paul Sabatier – 2002
- Complications of laparoscopic pelvic and lumbar lymphadenectomies – as in gynecological oncology. CARTRON Geraldine. Medicine thesis. University of Toulouse III Paul Sabatier – 2004.
- Comparative pharmacokinetic study of two intraperitoneal chemotherapy procedures with hyperthermia (CHIP), coelioististed and open-belly: experimental study. GESSON-PAUTE Amelie. Medicine Thesis. University of Toulouse III Paul Sabatier – 2006
- Failure factors in the identification of the sentinel lymph node in breast cancer. Trine phi. Medicine thesis. University of Montpellier I – 2010
- Pelvic exenteration: a multicenter, retrospective and descriptive study of morbidity and mortality. VITSE Lucie. Medicine thesis. Universidad de las Indias Occidentales y Guyana – Pointe à Pitre – 2010
- Cervical cancer in women under 35 years: prognostic impact. CROUZET Agate. Medicine thesis. Universidad de Amiens – 2012.
- Study of the factors that predict the appearance of acute renal failure after surgery for tumor reduction and intraperitoneal hyperthermia by cisplatin for peritoneal carcinomatosis of ovarian origin. Retrospective bicentric study. Old Pierre Medicine thesis. Universidad de Montpellier I – 2014
- Does the delay between cytoreduction surgery and the start of adjuvant chemotherapy in advanced stage ovarian cancers influence prognosis? VITRAC Anne Sophie. Medicine thesis. Paul Sabatier de la Universidad de Toulouse III – 2014
DIRECTION AND COORDINATION OF WORKS M2R, THESIS (EA 3035 and then EA 4553)
- Peroperative detection of ovarian adenocarcinoma cells. Using the Fluobeam. SIN Anne Claire. M2R Surgical Sciences Paris XI. 2010
- GENDER Ludivine M2R Surgical Sciences Paris XI. 2012
- Impact of hyaluronic acid on ovarian carcinomatosis implants. Moreno laetitia M2R Surgical Sciences Paris XI. 2012
- IP chemotherapy with extracorporeal hyperthermia in ovarian carcinomatosis: Proof of concept. PICAUD-MORENO Laetitia. Universidad de Toulouse PhD (Co-supervision – current thesis)
- Detection and treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis by loaded nano-container. COUSTETS Mathilde. University Thesis Toulouse III (Co-supervision – Doctorate in progress)